Losing the original document of a land or a building can be a serious problem. Here are the steps that can be taken if you lose the original document for a land and will help you acquire an alternate document for the immovable property:

  • File a police complaint: The first thing to do is to file a police complaint about the lost document. This is important to prevent any fraudulent activity that may happen in the future. You don’t have to go in person to a police station to do it, you can file a complain online through the website –> https://eservices.tnpolice.gov.in/

  • Advertise in the newspaper: Once the police complaint is filed, advertise in a newspaper that the original document has been lost. This will help to inform the public and prevent any potential fraud.

  • Obtain a certified copy: After advertising in the newspaper, you can obtain a certified copy of the lost document from the relevant sub-registrar. This copy will serve as a temporary document until the original is found or a duplicate is obtained.

  • Apply for a duplicate: If the original document cannot be found, the respective police officer will issue a Not Traceable Certificate and after that you can apply for a duplicate by approaching the sub-registrar and by paying the fees for the certified duplicate copy.

It is important to take necessary precautions to prevent the loss of important documents. It is recommended to keep the original documents in a safe and secure place, and make copies of them for easy access. In case of any such issues you can immediately contact a good civil lawyer and seek for guidance.

Sign In


Reset Password

Please enter your username or email address, you will receive a link to create a new password via email.